My good friends, Nymeth (things mean a lot) and Chris (Stuff as Dreams are Made On), are hosting the 2010 Graphic Novels Reading Challenge, so I am definitely signing up for it. I didn’t do so last year, and regretted it because I actually read a number of really good graphic novels and discovered I really enjoy that type of reading. So here I am, adding another challenge (it won’t be my last though!) to my 2010 reading goals.
Here’s how this challenge is set up:
- The challenge starts on January 1st 2010 and ends on December 31st (but we don’t mind you starting early.)
- You don’t have to make a list beforehand (but you can, of course! Lists are great because they give ideas to people who aren’t sure what to read. And if you do make one, don’t feel forced to stick to it!)
- We simplified the levels of participation: you can be a Beginner (3 Comics or Graphic Novels), Intermediate (3-10) or an Expert (10+). You’re more than free to adjust your level of participation after the challenge has begun.
- There will be mini-challenges! Look for a post with more info on that soon.
- Overlaps with other challenges are totally fine.
I’m going to participate at the Intermediate level because I was a beginner last year and now I’m finding more and more graphic novels that catch my eye. I’ll read between 3 – 10 books, and here’s my starter list:
- The Complete Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi
- The Eternal Smile, by Gene Luen Yang
- Fables: Vol 1, Bill Willingham
- Aya, by Marguerite Abouet and Clement Oubrerie
- The Color of Water, The Color of Earth, The Color of Heaven, by Kim Dong Hwa